Thursday, December 6, 2012

Favorites and New beginnings

I've been slowly moving into my new little space at Summer Cottage. It's super exciting to be able to fill my entire space with 4 small pieces in comparison to bringing a truck load that doesn't even make a dent.  I've always wanted to try my hand at a strictly mono-cromatic space, I figured this was my chance. My new space has a great white wood background that served as my jumping off point and it's been a thrill to piece together a new look. Here's some shots of the space in progress...

It's always fun to create something new. On another note, I recently brought a piece into French Hen and I think it's one of my favorites. When I first got this dresser it came with a great original patina that I was hesitant to mess with. I have to say, as a mother of two little girls, I find that I'm always drawn to pink....especially original crispy faded fabulous pink, like this dresser was.

However, this piece had some downfalls and in the end I felt that it could be equally fabulous and a little more finished if I gave it a fresh coat of paint. I didn't document the process, but it was pretty simple.

*One coat of primer
*One coat of ASCP Paris Grey
*One coat of White wash ( brushed on and ragged off)
*Clear wax to finish


I find this treatment accentuates the flaws that a chippy dinged up piece may have....but in a good way. The best thing you can do when something is imperfect is to embrace it's uniqueness and highlight the positives. This dresser has beautiful lines and an aged grace about it that really spoke to me. I hope she finds a good home soon.

2 comments:

  1. Things are looking beautiful Em. I hope everything continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am just discovering you today, emily. what a lovely blog, and anyone who elevates the status of toast/french toast/or anything remotely toast is a friend of mine.

    i'm your newest follower and hope you'll stop by soon.

    michele

    ReplyDelete