Thursday, December 27, 2012

Balance and harmony with paintbrush in hand


I started 2012 with a journal that was aptly embossed on its cover with this quote, "Strive for balance and you will find harmony". I feel a little like I metaphorically told this quote to shove it by the proceeding choices that I made for myself this year. Balance and harmony were two things that were sorely missing from my life this year. But sometimes you have to take your lumps in life and learn some lessons the hard way. With that, these are the lessons I'm putting in my pocket and walking away from 2012 with:

1.) My ambition does not supersede my need/want to take care of my family.

Money doesn't motivate me enough to give up some things, i.e. my garden, volunteering in the girls classrooms and going on field trips, hosting family gatherings and spending time with friends.

I know I can't take my zucchini's to the bank, nor does spending a day with 25-30 1st or 4th graders pay our bills....but at the end of my life I don't want to look back on all I didn't do for my family because I was trying to "make it". I am "making it" right now, I'm making a home and making a lifetime of memories.

2.) Simple things hold great value

A clean house, reading a book to my daughters, a balanced checkbook (rarely achieved), curling up by the fire with my hub, a phone conversation with my mom, planting a seed. These things add up to so much of what really makes me feel satisfied and content. It's sometimes so hard to stay in touch with what I really want.

3.) I have talents to share

I feel myself recoiling from that statement...it's really hard to feel like what I have to give is enough. But I've realized that I do have a talent for painting and a good eye for color...and whats more, I really enjoy sharing it. I think this is the best thing I've learned this year, to be able to value what I have to offer is huge for me personally and I'm excited to see where it takes me. Which leads me to a my big announcement and next steps for the new year....

I am happy to announce that I will be doing more custom painting for anyone who is interested. I've had so many customers at French Hen as well as friends and family who are always asking me about painting furniture they already have at home. If you have something that needs a bit of refreshing, send me a picture and I'll give you a quote and a color recommendation.

If your feeling like your ready to dive into the painting world yourself, than I happy to help you! Starting sometime in late January I will be hosting some intimate workshops at my house to help you paint your own fabulous finds! Please let me know what most interests you in regards to classes, I'm very flexible and still in the development stage, so I'd love your input.

And if you are looking for a little more one-on-one advice, I'm happy to come to your house for a private tutorial. This option is great if your not sure what would be the best color choice, or if you have a really large project you would like to tackle.

Please contact me via email at frenchtoastlifestyle@gmail.com


I really enjoy painting and being a mother, wife and homemaker...I think working from home and at a slower pace will allow me to be all of those things in equal measure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment