Sunday, October 7, 2012

Words of wisdom...learned the hard way

Since I'm a crash course kinda of gal, it's taken me a few "blunders" to get some techniques under my belt. My best friend Gen is more the research type, as I've written about before. She will research and test out a new product, judiciously conserve her paints and tools, etc. Basically, everything I don't do.

I tend to just open the can and start slapping it on. I think that was part of the appeal of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. The theory is that you don't have to sand or prime and it sticks and covers anything. Which I have to say is mostly true. I have however, also railed through can after can of this rather expensive (but totally worth it) paint. Finally I got wise after a huge buffet that took something like 5 coats of pure white ASCP to cover the bleed through of mahogany stain. Hmmmmmmm, maybe I could save some time and money and put a coat of primer on first. Genius!!! Not really...actually it was what my partner Brenda had suggested at the beginning with that mammoth buffet. So on certain pieces, ones with bright original paint colors or strong dark stains, I now happily use a primer coat.

So that was the starting point with my bubble gum pink darling. Here she is with one healthy coat of primer....actually, when you're not entirely sure what color you want to paint something, sometimes a primer is the best place to start. I find it gives you the opportunity to see the piece as a blank canvas. Often a strong color can blind you to the beauty of piece.

My last tip for today my seem dumb, but I say it only because I've learned this one the hard way too. Always remove your hardware before you start to paint and put it in a safe spot. I put knobs in a sandwich bag, then in one specific drawer in my work room.

There's nothing worse than hunting for a missing screw or drawer pull when your at the end. Its like having the perfect pair of earrings for an outfit...you're about to walk out the door for your date, but you can only find one.....arrggghhhh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment