Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lipstick on a pig...

Painting furniture is hardly a new concept. You see it everywhere blogs, stores, Craigslist....the list is endless. And now, more than ever, there are some really great products on the market to transform your garage sale treasures, such as Annie Sloan Chalk Paint or Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. With so many great paints and tools available on the market place it can be overwhelming to choose the right medium for your piece.

I've been doing my fair share of painting lately, so I don't get too attached to my work. I don't always paint with my favorite color or use my favorite technique. I've learned that every piece of furniture has a color that will elevate it, not detract. This is sometimes a tough pill to swallow...."I don't want to paint this piece blue!" But instincts have taught me to go with my gut on what will look best for each item.

Think of furniture like the latest style trends....I really love skinny jeans, but in no universe that I live in do they look good on me. Same goes for paint. Some colors and techniques just end up looking like lipstick on a pig. Definitely not what we're going for!

So the question is.....How do you choose the right paint color/type? Hmmmmm, this is a tricky question. I think first you have to consider the condition and age. What sort or details, i.e. carvings, finials, knobs does the piece have. Is the wood dark or light? Is the finish old and dry or high shine and pristine? It's a lot to try to navigate at once. So to start I thought I would leave you with an example of what not to do. To whoever painted this little night stand, no disrespect...judging by the price I paid for it and where I got it, I don't think it ended up being a prized possession.

Ain't she a beaut!



OK....so besides the fact that this nightstand is painted bubble gum pink....the real bummer is that none of the great details have been highlighted. Stay tuned....I'll be working on this one today and I'll give you a step by step of the resurrection.

3 comments:

  1. As much as I LOVE a good vintage Bubble Gum or Pepto Bismol pink, I prefer to see it painted on more of a farmhouse-style piece. I look forward to seeing what you make of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....bright colors do have there place. Brooke has a pair of night stands that are painted a great orange/pink color. As Steve Luck would call it "Porange". At any rate, they're adorable.

      Delete
  2. I am going to start a book of "emilyisms" lipstick on a pig is going to be the first entry! You seriously crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete