Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The joy of gardening...even if you don't know what the heck you're doing!

It's that time of year again...time to get the garden in. Currently I have a lovely fenced in weed center. I know I'm getting a late start, but better late than never! Last year was my first garden, I learned some valuable lessons on what to plant and what to skip. At this point in life, I think I'm going to keep it simple. So I'm going with a basic variety of herbs, berries, LOTS OF TOMATOES, lettuces, beets (a personal favorite), squash, zucchini and cucumbers.

Last year I had quite the hodge podge of planting techniques. I planted too much of some things, not enough of others. Trial and error is the best method...and let's be honest, my usual modes operandi. My bestie Gen methodically reads the instructions on the back of a seed packet, then she researches online the best planting techniques, looking for cues on how deep to sow the seed what to plant it next to. HA...I don't have the patience. At the ripe old age of 33, I have discovered a very key piece of info about myself...I am incredibly impatient. I don't savor the process...I like the product.
Weeds...yummy!
Potentially fabulous...right?

Here in Petaluma, we have some really fantastic gardening resources. In downtown, there's the Seed Bank (please check out this link, very cool!) and we also have a gorgeous nursery at the other end of town called, Cottage Gardens. Both of these places make it easy to get info and plants!

This year I'll be using starters for the cuc's, tomatoes, herbs and berries. I'll do seeds for everything else. I don't mind being patient for a few things, like the beets and squash.

I think the most rewarding part of gardening is digging in the dirt. I like the physicality of it...heck, I just really like getting dirty! Some of my favorite summer memories from last year, were weeding and harvesting with the kids in the morning. Coffee in hand, dew still on the plants I would wander out in the morning in bare feet, to see what there was to pick. Now that's something worth being patient for!

What are your favorite things to grow? I'm about to amend my soil...any wisdom out there? Feedback is welcome.....

1 comment:

  1. Have your soil tested at the State Cooperative extension center - they'll tell you what to add. Also, you live in an area where you can mulch all your cuttings right into the garden to maintain water, create good soil, and discourage weeds. Just cut the leaves and put them around the plants. Voila! Instant mulch!

    ReplyDelete