Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dream big! Go ahead....I dare you!

Lately, I find myself dreaming big! I'm creating a mental check list of things I'm ready to allow myself to envision. I pride myself on being a "realist", but often times I think I just used my practical side as a defense. If I don't want that...then I won't be disappointed if I don't get it. Or, who am I to think that I could achieve that goal? I admit that many of my aspirations I would be afraid to admit out loud...but they are seeds that I have planted in my heart and they seem like wonderful treasures that I've given myself. It's hard to "make it" if you haven't at least tried to visualize the destination.

On anther note, I thought I would update you with a few pictures of a dresser I had shown in a previous post.

I got this dresser at our local Goodwill, it was in definite need of repair. The veneer was cracked and peeling in several spots. But the construction and drawers were solid and sturdy. I loved the lines and the hardware, so I brought it home. My hubby thought it was junk...I asked him to work some magic on it, but soon we realized that short of removing all the veneer, this piece was toast. Actually, Sid got fairly exasperated in his attempts to correctly repair it. "Em, this thing is just beyond..." "Nah, I can make it work" I said. I chose to embrace the imperfections!


Sid filled in all the veneer cracks with sheet rock mud
One coat of ASCP (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) Paris Grey thinned with water


Here it is finished!


I heavily sanded it, making sure to accentuate the imperfections. Then it received a light white washing and the handles got painted bright white. The end result really had a French antique feel.

Here's another picture of it in the window...notice the sold sign, someone else liked it too!
I have to add a little footnote here...
I know my photography is really lacking, I don't have the camera to do most things any justice yet. A great camera and a photography class are on the list of great aspirations!



6 comments:

  1. It might have been hard work but it was a good save! The lines are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work doesn't feel so hard when you really love a piece! I wanted to keep this one! Oh well, I guess that's part of being an antique dealer.
      Thanks for the comment!
      Smiles,
      Em

      Delete
  2. Beautiful beautiful makeover - I just did a custom one for a customer last week -
    Your newest follower - would love to have you drop in for a visit and follow back when you have the time
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Do you do a lot of custom work? I'm finding more and more of my clients are wanting their pieces reworked...I just wish I had more time!
      Smiles,
      Em
      P.S. I'd love to follow back...you're my next stop!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful piece as well as the paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate that my photography doesn't show how cute it really was. Oh well, new camera....adding that to the list;)
      Smiles,
      Em

      Delete