Thursday, February 7, 2013

Coloring outside the lines

What type of artist are you?

Even if you don't consider yourself an "artist", we all have some type of creative spirit that we administer in our everyday lives. Tasks like cooking dinner or putting on your make up are actually little creative endeavors.

So I pose the question again, this time in a different way. Do you color inside or outside the lines....metaphorically speaking. I know I have a definite creative style and its pretty much always outside the lines. There are many days I wish I had the discipline to follow the directions on a paint product or patiently watch a how to video online before diving into a project. But alas, that's just not me.....and that's ok.

I've been doing some regrouping creatively since I left my bigger space at French Hen Antiques. It's so nice to just be alone in my quiet house, working on my own to do list...which some days may include folding laundry while watching cooking shows and other days painting. Right now I'm just enjoying working at my own pace.

I have lots of "painting for hire" jobs lined up, so I thought I would include a few pictures of projects in motion. Sorry for no before's on this dresser...I forgot to snap one. I'm doing lots of experimenting right now with black as a base color, this piece is an example of that.




Here's the drawers I painted them using Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Fugley brass hardware? No problem....just paint it!
 
The details of this piece are the best part!

I painted this dresser first with Typewriter, then a custom blended grey blue and finished with Linen. Why three colors? When you sand all the layers come through giving your piece lots of dimension and interest. It may look unfinished...and it is. I've learned to trust the process, most times my pieces look ugly before they look good. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I hadn't visited the Blog Sister directory in a while and was checking out my fellow California Sisters. I sell MMSMP and was delighted to see you layering the paints. I've had lots of fun making my own colors lately. Your project looks great!
    Learning as i go,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: I posted a list of tips on Growing your Blog, at the BS site. I'm going to be sending out an offer for a free guide via email soon. I've been to several great blogging conferences and gotten lots of great tips. (NO I don't follow all of my own advice!) But, first of all, I would remove the word verification program, that you have to fill out, after leaving a comment. They are real comment killers. Sort of like doing gymnastics, just to leave a note.
    Keep on painting!
    Cheers!,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete