Thursday, January 3, 2013

Treasure hunting!

Today's loot

One of the best parts of the antique business is shopping for treasures! One of the reasons I became an antique dealer is because of years of inadvertent training I had as a kid. If I had a nickel for every time I went to a thrift store or the Goodwill with my mom...I'd be rich!

I remember this one place called the "Bargain Store". It sold beads and all sorts of bits and cool things, the owner would barter and trade, which made it a favorite of my moms. Even in my late teens I would frequent Antique stores to drool over the Jadite dishes and depression glass.

My taste in antiques has changed over the years, but my love for the older and weathered has not. I think old things just have more personality...and besides, it's just in my blood. I couldn't just fill my house with new things, I literally wouldn't know how.

I'm always on the hunt for things for resale, so you would think that I'm constantly finding wonderful treasures for myself as well, right? WRONG...I completely forget to shop for myself! It's actually a resolution of mine, to shop for myself as well as my retail space.

So what have I been looking for? My new space at Summer Cottage is fairly mono-chromatic, which makes shopping and staging really simple. I'm always on the hunt for ironstone, great furniture that I can paint, interesting farm/industrial items, enamelware and cool bits that jump out at me. I think the best thing to remember as an antique dealer is, if you love it, someone else will too. With that I'll leave you with some pics of things I'm in love with now...hopefully the new year will bring plenty of these stunning items my way!
Ironstone!!!
Unique Boxes and crates  
Butter Pats!!!

Natural wood furniture and cubbies  
Carts and industrial salvage
Galvanized anything & everything!
Latte bowls 
Ohh....and there's so much more!!! Here's to prosperous and happy treasure hunting to all in 2013!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    I found you via pinterest and have enjoyed looking around your blog! I too, have a small space in an Antique mall. I started in July and have had huge success! Hope you have a wonderful year!

    Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete