Sunday, January 13, 2013

High hopes

Picture courtesy of heatherbullard.typepad.com

I've been with my hubbie since high school and over the years I've learned a few tricks when it comes to negotiating for things that I want. Anyone who's been married for awhile knows that marriage is a dance...one might even call it a balancing act. Give and take, trying to lean his way on some issues and hopefully he in mine.

I struggle to effectively communicate my wants. It's a flaw, what can say. I ALWAYS have a definite idea of what I want, but rarely do I shoot for the stars and ask for everything. I think it's my natural defense mechanism...if I don't ask, I can't get let down when I don't receive. The problem is my poor husband isn't a mind reader, so with my latest project I've decided to shoot for the moon. I figure if I aim for a 10 and get a 7, I'm still ahead. Usually, I would express the desire of a 5 get a 2 and be left pissed. Men of the world this is why women drive you crazy.

So what is this mystery project? A chicken cottage! I don't think that the term "coop" sums up what I'm shooting for. A "coop" doesn't have an foreye, pitched roof with awning and most important chandelier! "Chandelier in a chicken coop.....are you crazy?" my hubbie asked. No I'm not crazy, but I know he doesn't think I am. Over the years he has learned that the details matter to me (I love that he's able to see that).
photo courtesy of vintagehome.tumbler.com

I am very fortunate to have both the space and the man power to achieve what I want, now I just have to start gathering the supplies. I have champagne taste and beer pockets, so this project is definitely going to take some scrounging.
photos courtesy of thefancyfarmgirl.com

In addition to being pretty, the cottage also needs to actually effectively and safely house my lovely chickens. And yes, to the Bruhns out there reading, there will be an honorary "Plucka". What type of chickens do I want? Just regular laying hens and one rooster. None of those fancy pants furry fluffy chickens...not my style.
photo via pinterst unknown source

photo courtesy of picasaweb.google.com

I've been trolling pintrest for ideas and coop eye candy, I hope to include some of the pictured design ideas. ;) You can't blame a girl for trying!
photo via pinterst source unknown

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! All this time I have thought that I must be nuts because of the way I think. Oh boy, I can now see that I am not alone. :-) I am so happy to meet you! I have a hen house! I have a great husband of 47 years and we learned how to communicate quite well. I have also learned how to get what I want and how to be nice about it.

    ReplyDelete