Saturday, March 17, 2012

Planting my seeds

Last year I was able to plant my first garden. I'm fortunate to have a fairly large plot to plant...so I was a little overwhelmed with the possibilities. My bestie Gen was kind enough to share her seeds (which she loves dearly).

Here's the thing...I didn't believe the seeds would grow. It just seemed like too much to hope for that with dirt, water and patience, these tiny seeds would turn into full fledged plants...much less something I could harvest.
Needless to say, with little hope, I planted and watered. Guess what? The seeds sprouted and grew, miraculous! Not everything was a success, but I had more seedlings, than duds and it taught me a valuable lesson. Even though you might not be able to see something happening (like a seed developing and trying to break ground) that doesn't mean that a transformation hasn't begun. The key was to trust the process, seed + dirt/water/sun= plant. Had I given up and not watered I would have had nothing to harvest. I guess it boils down to faith.

For the last 6 months or so, I've been "planting my seeds" around town, metaphorically speaking. I never finished college, I haven't had any long standing jobs that weren't in the restaurant business. So my resume is lack luster at best. My hub has worked his BUTT OFF to keep me home over the years and it's time for me to flick a nickel or two in the communal pot. Trouble was, how to expand on the skills I do possess and find something with enough flexibility to fit my mommy lifestyle. I've already had a good thing going at Summer Cottage Antiques...so I ramped that up. But I knew I would need something else, I wasn't sure what. So I started planting my seeds, I talked with friends about my situation, made new friends, designed a logo, started this blog, journaled and literally put it out to the Universe that I was open and ready. I believed in my seed.

Yesterday a really perfect opportunity came my way and I was ready to accept it! In mid April I will be taking an additional space in another Antique shop in Petaluma. It will require a lot more effort and time but I know I can do it. The best way to describe this new venture; it's like being 2 days away from the due date of your second child. You can't turn back, you know it will all work out, but you're not as naive as you were the first go around. This is going to be a roller coaster!

I can't wait to share the process with you (my gigantic audience, ha, ha). Who else has planted some seeds, literal or otherwise? Please share!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    I am so proud of you for finally getting out of your head. For believing in yourself and what you know you are meant to do. You have the support of so many you will do great!
    Faith who knew? Love you Bestie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is a big fat bowl of opportunities! Go for it, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you planted anything yet? Literally speaking? I'm itching to till the garden!

      Delete