Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Meat & Potatoes....As requested

My Aunt requested some content that wasn't all love notes to my hub or deep thoughts about my future. I agree! Enough whipped cream, here's a post with some substance and "eye candy".

I've been shopping like crazy the last week, in preparation for the new larger space. Many antiquers have a huge stockpile....I don't or better stated, didn't. So it was off to the usual haunts and a few new places too.

In my home town we have a recycle center at the local dump. Sounds classy, I know, but it's a great place to find building supplies, old windows and cast off furniture that just needs a little love. It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw away. I made the rounds at the local flea markets. Flea's are a great place to find unique items at really low prices. My best flea market and garage sale advice: don't wear your good jewelry, clothes or carry a designer purse...these things will drive up the price you are quoted! I wear a sweatshirt and keep my cash in my pocket, I don't even wear my wedding ring. I do try to at least wear mascara and straighten my hair. Flirting, is bargaining tool I shamelessly use often. I don't point out what is "wrong" with an item while trying to negotiate a better price. It puts the seller in a defensive mood and it's not very nice. Instead, I do well with, "What's your friendliest price?" My motto: You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar. I've sold at my share of antique shows and it always surprises me how many buyers rattle off all of the faults, in an effort to get a low price. My response as a seller, "If the item is such a piece of junk, why do you want it?" Well, I thinking that at least.

I also went to a new place, new to me that is. Lytton Springs Salvation Army. The reason I liked it....tonnage! It's so nice to go somewhere and have a lot to choose from. This facility has a wide selection of furniture, the prices aren't fantastic, but Tuesday is the rumored 1/2 off day. I only found that tid bit out because Gen asked the cashier. Which is a great tip; ask if there are any upcoming sales or discount days. Most thrift stores offer specials either monthly or weekly. It also doesn't hurt to make friends with the people who work or volunteer at the shops and shows. A friendly face in the crowd will usually get the better deal. Here's a before of a buffet I got at Lytton...it's in the process of being stripped! The drawer fronts have a great curve to them.

Here's a table from Lytton...also, still looking pretty rough.

All that said, I've chosen to take on some projects I would not have previously attempted. Such as upholstery! I got a pair of these fab chairs at a great price. Here's the before:


I found the chairs while picking up this beauty, which my Mother (finder of all things extraordinary) found for me. I LOVE things that are ready to price and sell...no painting required!
I got this very pretty dresser yesterday at the Goodwill in town. The lines of this piece are so feminine and regal. I can't wait to see these metal details highlighted by paint!
My apologies for the crummy iPhone photography....glamour shots take time that I don't have to give, as of yet. Not to mention, my camera is sub par.

By the end of this week I will be starting my window display in the new shop, French Hen Antiques. I'm bursting with ideas, weighted with self doubt and dreaming in shades of grey (since that's the only color I seem to want to paint anything). This all feels like a roll of the dice...oh well, as the saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".

1 comment:

  1. Hi...

    I passed up the last piece even though I loved the look. More work for me than I could commit too...I LOVE IT!!! however and am wondering what your planning? Paint? Repair?

    ReplyDelete